Be kind to your crossbow and it will be kind to you. Here are some tips for proper maintenance to ensure your Barnett crossbow continues to perform at its best.
- Constantly survey all equipment for possible damage. Get to know your crossbow on a deep level and look over it closely every time before shooting. The more familiar you are with how everything is supposed to look, the more likely you are to notice if something isn’t quite right. Also keep tabs on your equipment and accessories – including your scope, arrows, sling, quiver, etc.
- Wax on. Don’t wax off. Keeping your cables, strings and arrow/flight track thoroughly waxed is essential to your crossbow’s overall performance, and also to extend the life of your cables and string. Apply lube wax every 5 to 10 shots or when “white fuzz” begins to appear. If your crossbow has been exposed to excessive moisture, more frequent application may be necessary. To wax, vigorously rub lube wax (supplied with every Barnett crossbow) into the appropriate area with your fingers until the wax is worked through.
- Check nuts and bolts. Periodically survey all the bindings in your crossbow to make sure nothing comes loose. If you do find a nut or bolt that needs tightening, make sure you don’t overtighten as this may lead to crossbow damage.
- Keep your crossbow un-cocked. Leaving your bow cocked for extended periods of time may weaken the limbs and reduce speed. Barnett does not recommend cocking your bow for more than four hours at a time.
- Store in a safe, dry place. Storage is not to be taken lightly with your crossbow. Make sure it’s in a safe place that is out of reach for any unauthorized users (such as children) and keep it out of direct sunlight.
- Change string and cables when necessary. Your string and cables will eventually wear and require replacement. The timeframe when this happens is dependent on how often you use your crossbow, but generally you should replace them every 2 to 3 years.
Still have questions about your bow’s operation or maintenance? A Barnett customer service representative will be happy to help you. Call us at (800) 237-4507.